Tuesday 31 May 2011

Limerick battle!

My boyfriend participated in the TED Full Spectrum auditions on May 24 in NYC.  (http://blog.ted.com/2011/04/15/a-chance-to-audition-your-own-ted-talk)

His talk explored the future of bricks and the role of bricks in our future cities.  He asked why bricks haven't changed in thousands of years and proposed the use of 3-D printing to make bricks with many sides that are lighter, stronger, more intelligent, and more adaptable.  The talk was amazing.

James McBennett at the TED Full Spectrum auditions, May 24, 2011, New York, NY. Credit: James Duncan Davidson (c) 2011 James Duncan Davidson.


Although I enjoyed watching my boyfriend share his incredible ideas, I was a bit taken aback by his introduction.  James was introduced with a limerick by Chris Anderson (curator of TED):

A narcoleptic Irishman called James
Had a love life that was always in flames
The loudest of sighs
That are made with shut eyes
Are never a hit with the dames.

Chris Anderson at the TED Full Spectrum auditions, May 24, 2011, New York, NY.  Credit: James Duncan Davidson (c) 2011 James Duncan Davidson.


As James's girlfriend, I felt that I must respond to Chris's statements about his luck with the dames.  Although Chris was joking, I know for a fact that James's love life is not in flames and wanted to set the record straight.  I also wanted to stand up for all the narcoleptics and the girlfriends of narcoleptics who have great relationships!  So I wrote this response limerick:

A narcoleptic Irishman called James
Is actually quite good with the dames
Though he may shut his eyes
On waking there's a surprise
Thus I dispute what Chris proclaims.

James emailed my limerick to Chris, who replied with "That would be game set and match to Carey!" Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Researching Victorian illustration at the Courtauld Institute of Art. Loves text + image relations, book arts, poetry, fantasy, science, people watching, the moon. Originally from Memphis, Tennessee.